Wednesday 14 April 2010

"That's What I Want" Wednesday!

I love Taschen art books, I love photography collections, and I love anything to do with the Beatles (who knew!), so this new book of Linda McCartney's photos don't need no fake ID to get onto my Most Wanted guest list this week. But at a princely triple-figure sum it's going to have to join all those gems from Genesis Publications on my Amazon Wish-for-a-lottery-win List cos this mama's got little kitten mouths to feed.

More in keeping with the sensible 'look after the pennies and they'll take care of the pounds' side of me is another book of photos, this time from May Pang (who I can't help adoring) called Instamatic Karma - worth the cover price for the great title alone, and which makes me want to trawl ebay for another addition to my vintage camera collection.

While looking for a photo to publish with this posting I found the image at the top of the page, which is taken from May's book. Now I know I gotta have it! Of course I was aware that John and Paul had hung out at least a couple of times during the 70s and I've even tried to listen to A Toot and A Snore all the way through, but I never in my wildest dreams imagined there had been any photographs taken of them together, and then I come across this. My heart is in my mouth as I write and I keep stopping to look at the picture again, as if it might vanish if I take my eyes off it.

It's been a bit of a downer lately what with all the recent articles and news items going on about the 40th anniversary of the official Beatles break-up (I'd much rather spend time and energy celebrating what they created while they were still together), so this picture is a reminder that the break-up was just the end of a chapter of John and Paul's relationship, and not the final word (as we all know, that tragically was to come later).

I'm depressing myself now, so to lighten the mood a final must-have today is for anyone like me who still gets a thrill from playing games which involve throwing dice and moving pieces on a board (call me old-fashioned...or just old). Spotted here on a great beatles blog by Megan (who has opinions and isn't afraid to wield them!) is the Beatles edition of Trivial Pursuit. Yeah I know I'm probably the last person on earth to hear about this, but it just means I'll get it at a discounted price now :-) Anyone up for a game?

No comments:

Post a Comment